February 3, 2009
Praised by Jesus Christ and Blessed Be His Mother for All Generations (Luke 1:48)!!!!
The 40 Days for Life is in full organizational swing. Here are some developments...
1) And then there were five! Edmonton has joined Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal in representing Canada in this international effort. There are about 115 U.S. cities participating, 5 Canadian, and even 1 in Australia (Brisbane). 40 Days for Life is catching like fire around the world -- the fire of the Holy Spirit to burn away the complacency and self pity in the pro-life movement. It is precisely during these days that God uses to bring about remarkable transformation -- when things look hopeless is when things are really the most hopeful because it is then that God raises up the powerless and the meek to crush the strong and the arrogant. Take a look around today at the social and political landscape surrounding abortion. Does it not look like the other side has won everything? Indeed it does, but that will be their downfall. As Jesus said, "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." (Matthew 7:27)
2) February 3 Information Meeting - Just a friendly reminder that the Ottawa Campaign will be holding its General Information Session for all those wishing to participate in the Campaign and in particular the Vigil, including Parish and Group Representatives. Time & Place: next Tuesday February 3 at St. Pat's Scavi from 7 to 9 pm. This is a very important meeting. Please plan to be there as there are many important matters to discuss.
3) Promotion Campaign - As part of our efforts in this 40 Days Campaign, we will be looking to use your generous donations in various media outlets. In particular, we would like to focus on the airwaves in Ottawa to get the word out about the 40 Days Campaign. We also need to shine the light and remind people in Ottawa that 2300 abortions take place at the Morgentaler Abortion Mill every year.
4) Manly Men - We need 3 or 4 manly looking men under 50 to pose at Ground Zero (at the regular prayer zone outside of the Morgentaler Mill) for some banner ads which we are developing. The target of these ads is to awaken the men in our churches to step up and take some responsibility for witnessing against abortion. If you are one of these manly men, please contact me at email@example.com.
5) Vigil Time Frame - We have to decide on a time frame for the vigil -- whether it will be 12 or 24 hours for at least part of the 40 days, due to the colder weather. Your presence at the Information meeting will be beneficial in finding out which way we will go. Personally, I would prefer to keep the 24 hour vigil since progress on the spiritual front comes from sacrifice and keeping the bar high. However, since many of the early morning hours were taken by our seniors during the last campaign, there has to be a shift in demographics during this time period if we end up taking the harder road. The younger people need to step up and commit to filling in the early morning slots. It's time to step up, folks.
Vigil & Communications Co-Ordinator