GUIDELINES FOR PRO-LIFE PRESENCE AT ABORTION FACILITIES
Your presence at an abortion “clinic” or abortionist’s office is an important affirmation of LIFE, exercise of your Constitutional right to free speech, and witness against the tragedy of abortion. These guidelines are offered to increase the effectiveness of our efforts.
1. All public witnessing (praying, sidewalk counseling, etc.) at these sites MUST BE PEACEFUL. This is legal nonviolent prayer vigil. Public witnessing is a form of
communication – a statement to patients as well as passersby on behalf of all of the
victims of abortion. BE AWARE of what you say and do - you’re the voice and picture of
prolife to those who see and hear you! Be Christlike!
2. Babies are dying at the hands of abortionists and their staff. The baby’s mother and family
will never be the same. Treat the site with appropriate solemnity. Eating, drinking, loud talking and laughter are out of place. Remember these guidelines:
-- Stay with a partner.
-- If possible, carry a camera and cell phone.
-- Use signs (so people know why you are there.
-- Hold signs so they can be read – toward roadway traffic or to people
entering/leaving site. (NO SIGNS of a political nature.)
-- Use signs with large print and a short clear message.
-- If you have some available, carry prolife pamphlets with phone numbers for prolife assistance/info.
3. Do not go on the main road, the facility’s
property or parking lot, or any other private property.
4. Park on public streets and obey all parking/no parking signs.
-- DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS.
-- Do not impede the progress of cars entering/leaving the site.
-- Do not impede pedestrians.
-- Do not place pamphlets on a car/in a car/through a car window.
-- Do not respond to hecklers at all. Don’t end conversations with abortion advocates
by saying something condescending or nasty – ONLY life-affirming comments ring in their ears!
5. Stick to the issue if an abortion advocate engages you in discussion. ABORTION KILLS
BABIES and HURTS WOMEN and MEN. Make your points deliberately, but kindly.
6. Be considerate of other prolifers at the site. Praying, singing, and Bible reading should
be done without disturbing other prolifers and without discouraging those of other faiths
7. You can expect people to use negative "sign-language" and to yell out at you. Ignore it and pray for them. People will also shout out support for you - pray for them, too. In case of trouble by abortion advocates, call the police right away. Ask witnesses to make notes immediately (details are quickly forgotten).
8. It is difficult to assess the “success” of prolife witness at abortionists’ sites, but it is critical in keeping the plight of the unborn on the public agenda. Such prolife witness is seen by those contemplating abortion, those who know someone with an untimely pregnancy, and those hurt by a past abortion decision (and vulnerable for another). We stand as the voices for those who cannot cry out for help! We must perservere!
Thank you for your cooperation.