Topics We Cover on This Episode
Is abortion just another justice issue? And what does it mean to be pro-life? Can you consider yourself pro-life if your efforts to end abortion aren't linked with activism on climate change, immigration, poverty, and a host of other social concerns?
On this episode of?The 40 Days for Life Podcast,?Steve Karlen, Robert Colquhoun, and Sue Thayer discuss seven reasons why the pro-life movement is RIGHT to focus on ending abortion:
- It's impossible to effectively engage all social issues at once. And, in fact, most pro-lifers are actively involved in serving the needy in their communities in other ways.
- Abortion is the world's leading cause of death, which makes it the most important human rights issue in history.
- No other social issues matter...unless you're allowed to be born.
- Abortion kills an innocent human being and is inherently?evil. Most other issues don't involve an intrinsic evil. They simply involve debates and disagreements about the most effective solutions to particular social problems.
- Jesus said the poor will always be with us--not that the killing of children will always be with us. While ALL Christians have a duty to care for the poor, we can't wait for poverty to end before we end the killing of children.
- Preventing abortion does address a wide variety of social ills. After all, abortion is linked to poverty, substance abuse, child abuse, domestic violence, addiction, mental health problems, and more.
- You can do something about abortion where you live.?With some social issues, we can only make an impact indirectly, often through politicians. Sometimes the temptation to serve "humanity" as an abstraction, distracts us from serving actual human beings. At a 40 Days for Life vigil, you can end abortion by serving abortion-vulnerable moms and babies one at a time in your community.
[bctt tweet="Is #abortion just one #socialjustice issue among many equally important #prolife causes? On this episode of the #40daysforlife podcast, we discuss 7 reasons pro-lifers are right to focus on abortion. #prayforlife #40daysforlife"]